We recently held an event in Leeds where SolarWinds® gave us a sneak preview at NPM 12 and we have to say it’s their biggest release in years.
We are excited that NPM 12 is almost ready.
New things you can expect include:
Really cool tech tidbits like:
- Discovering the entire, complex path that connects users to services far, far away on the Internet. Often dozens and sometimes hundreds of routers, links, and servers.
- Quantifying the performance of every node and every link.
- Correlating hop by hop performance on a node or link that is used for a portion of the traffic to the end-to-end performance experienced by users.
- Determining what portion of latency is healthy and what portion is unhealthy. That way, we can correctly mark a link between two routers in the same building as unhealthy when it takes 7ms and mark a transcontinental link that takes 30ms as healthy.
- Reliably mimicking application traffic so we are allowed through firewalls and treated with QOS just like application traffic is.
At the end of the day, tools should make problems easier to understand and solve. Today, NetPath is SolarWinds® first attempt to reach toward that goal. Today, NetPath looks like this:
As NetPath strives to make network problems faster and easier to solve, SolarWinds® are super excited to see how it impacts your view of the network and how you solve network problems.
Network Insight for F5 BIG IP
Network Insight for F5 BIG IP provides deep, relationship aware monitoring of your F5 LTMs and GTMs (BIG-IP DNS). SolarWinds® get new metrics like concurrent connections by pool member and health monitor status. Most importantly, they are able to relate a single component to all of the dependent components. Or enumerate all of the components that must be working for a single service to work.
The UI for NPM and all other Orion based products has been refreshed. This includes two key changes.
First, they’ve rebuilt the top menu bar to minimize the space it uses, make navigation easier, and surface important features that are shared across several products, for example alerts and reports.
Second, they’ve reskinned the rest of the pages. This means colors and styles have been changed, but the function of the page is the same.
The goal here is a clean UI that makes it easy to focus on things that really need your attention. This overhaul also provides a path to our truly next generation UI, the first of which can be seen in NetPath.
Improved Cisco Switch Stack Monitoring
Cisco switch stacks have a layer of technology beyond a simple fixed switch that allows the stack to act as a single logical entity. This release makes it easy to understand, monitor, alert, and troubleshoot on that layer of technology. NPM can:
- List the member switches, and alert you upon membership changes.
- Identify the master and backup master switches.
- Discover CPU, RAM, and hardware health for each individual member.
- Visualize the stack ring and identify partial failures.
ServiceNow integration, stackable poller scalability improvements, installation optimization, install pre-flight checks, built in upgrade path advisor, AD integration for discovery, auto-import from discoveries, and so much more.
Be sure to check out the video at the NPM 12 microsite! http://go.solarwinds.com/npm12